ACRYLIC FOAM TAPES FOR THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY
NO FASTENERS. NO WELDS. NO RIVETS.
We are living in a time when automobiles are constantly changing. Not just the design, but the way they are manufactured. The system in which automobiles are being produced is also evolving.
With technology evolving at a rapid rate, manufacturing and assembly of automobiles is becoming more and more efficient every year. Whether it’s automation or manual assembly, companies are looking for the next method to increase speed and reduce expenses without sacrificing safety.
It has long been known that the use of fasteners, welds and rivets is becoming obsolete for interior and exterior applications in automotive and recreational vehicles. They simply do not provide the performance, aesthetics or ease of installation compared to the competition.
AUTOMOTIVE FOAM TAPE: YOUR BEST BET
Enter foam tapes as your solution to rivets, screws and welds. Foam tapes are not a new technology. In fact, they have been around for decades. What is new, however, are emerging applications for foam tapes. As foam tapes evolve, they find their way into new industries for different uses, including sealing gaskets for electronics, attaching glass panels to skyscrapers, and bonding nameplates and logos to various substrates.
Because acrylic foam tape eliminates the need for fasteners, welds and rivets, it can transform the performance, efficiency and price for a variety of applications.
Benefits of automotive foam tapes by 3M
Acrylic foam tape from 3M is more than just a tape. Decades of sophisticated engineering have resulted in a standard-bearing bonding system designed to create a strong, enduring bond that resists degradation from environmental conditions. For that reason, 3M acrylic foam tape is ideal for automotive applications.
Using custom cut 3M automotive foam tape in place of mechanical fasteners:
- Results in a lighter, more streamlined component
- Enhances the look of your product
- Maintains the integrity of the seal.
Not only that, but using 3M automotive foam tape in your custom converted product will also result in meaningful savings in time and labor.
Mechanical benefits of Acrylic Foam Tapes by 3M
3M foam tapes are made with a viscoelastic formula that allows the adhesive to flow into the surface while building strength, lending it robust shear and peel strength properties with a long-lasting performance that automotive components demand.
- The foam core of 3M acrylic foam tape has unique stress-relaxation properties, allowing it to expand and contract with temperature changes.
- Adhesive is engineered for elongation and stress relaxation.
- Foam core is designed to dissipate stress forces when exposed to high stress load.
- Flexible foam core of double-stick acrylic foam tape allows tape to conform to irregular surfaces and gaps.
- Acrylic adhesive resists exposure to temperature fluctuations, weather conditions, UV rays and solvents during the life of the product, making it well suited to automotive applications.
Assembly benefits of automotive acrylic foam tape
Replacing rivets and other mechanical fasteners on automotive components with acrylic foam tape can improve uptime and throughput in the assembly process:
- Acrylic foam tape can be die-cut into intricate shapes, and attached to elastomeric materials for easy peel-and-stick attachment when assembling automotive components.
- Lack of drilling and riveting reduces the need for training and labor, along with the risk of injury.
- Assembly of acrylic foam tape can be completed manually or with automation.
- Tapes require no drying and curing, and reach handling strength shortly after application.
- Streamlining of processes and materials results in less labor and costs.
Aesthetic benefits of 3M Acrylic Foam Tape
Automotive foam tape streamlines and improves the appearance and function of the design.
- Eliminates the need to use unsightly bolts, rivets and screws.
- Smoother surface creates attractive, aerodynamic design.
- Elimination of mechanical fasteners greatly reduces opportunities to develop rust when exposed to rain and other weather events.
- Reduces the need to drill into automotive painted surfaces.
- Ability to absorb sound and vibration reduces rattling and muffles sounds, creating a more pleasant experience for the end-user.
The 3M advantage
Using 3M Acrylic Foam Tape for your automotive custom converter product has several important advantages.
- Backed by a full range of support services for automotive applications.
- Assurance that performance of the adhesive meets the product and design engineering requirements of the automotive application.
- Has satisfied the requirements of specific automotive model program requirements since 1978.
- Read more about the benefits of using a 3M bonding system in your custom converter product.
Top applications of 3M Acrylic Foam Tape
The following are typical automotive applications of 3M Acrylic Foam Tape:
- Attachment of trim parts
- Bonding seals throughout the car body
- Door and window seals
- Door cladding and inlay
- Roof rails
- Rocker panel / body side molding
- Parking sensor retainers
ACRYLIC FOAM TAPES FOR THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY
3M Acrylic Plus Tape Series PT1000
This black, double-coated acrylic foam is designed to attach automotive exterior trim parts, including claddings and body side moldings.
3M Tape Series PT1000 offers the following key features:
- High conformability
- Black, high-strength core with low elongation properties
- Cold temperature impact resistance
- Easy liner release
3M Acrylic Foam Tape GT7108
3M Acrylic Foam Tape GT7108 is suited for attaching emblems, nameplates, moldings, step pads and other automotive trim. When applied to traditional paints, this gray, acrylic foam tape has very good adhesion.
3M Acrylic Foam Tape GT7108 offers the following features:
- Demonstrates excellent conformability and wet out on a range of automotive applications
- Maintains adhesion during the shrinkage and elongation of the part caused by temperature changes, while simultaneously maintaining good stress relaxation properties
- Provides very good final adhesion and peel strength
- Performs well in a wide range of weather, solvent and temperature conditions
3M Acrylic Foam Tape RT8012US
The 3M Acrylic Foam Tape GT7108 was developed for automotive applications, specifically for attaching trim and other exterior parts.
Its acrylic adhesive formula is designed to apply to a wide range of automotive paint systems.
3M Acrylic Foam Tape RT8012US offers the following features:
- Excellent adhesion to traditional auto paint and many advanced paint systems.
- Supports heavier parts including spoilers and claddings.
- Provides stress relaxation when exposed to high loads and maintains tight bond-line aesthetics under normal conditions.
- Helps ensure good bond-line appearance.
- One-piece release and efficient tape application.
SRP has provided custom gasket fabrication and die-cutting services since 1951. SRP is a Preferred Converter of 3M’s line of pressure sensitive adhesives and foam tapes in the converter markets.
For more information about 3M’s line of Acrylic Foam Tapes, you can visit our website, or call us at 847.593.5630.