SRP custom laminates and fabricates silicone, foam, sponge and rubber materials into custom width and length strips used for both the indoor and outdoor environments.
Gasket strips are used to protect internal components by sealing gaps between metal and plastic enclosures, doors, and windows from indoor and outdoor elements such as dust, water, and light.
SRP stocks a wide variety of high-performance gasket materials of various thicknesses that can be custom laminated with a pressure sensitive adhesive, and cut into custom lengths and widths without any additional tooling costs.
Gasket Strips can be cut from a variety of gasket materials including:
- PORON® Polyurethane Foam
- BISCO® Silicone Rubber + Sponge
- Silicone Rubber + Sponge
- PVC Foam
- Closed Cell Sponge
- Open Cell Sponge
- Polyurethane Foam
- Cellular Urethane
Gasket Strips can be made specific to each application depending on the necessary performance requirements. Typical applications for Gasket Strips include:
- Electrical Enclosures – Electrical enclosure gaskets must pass rugged weather-ability and perform over a broad temperature range, resist compression set which would compromise the electrical components inside the unit, and comply with UL Enclosure Ratings UL JMST2 & UL JMLU2 and NEMA ratings. Strip Gaskets can be used for ingress protection standards IP61, IP62, IP63, IP64, IP65 and IP66 in order to pass wash requirements during testing.
- Metal and Plastic Enclosures – Metal and plastic housings, enclosures and cabinets usually require gaskets to seal off the housing from any outside contaminants or liquids from getting into the housing and potentially damaging internal components. Materials like Closed Cell Sponge are commonly used when the the enclosure is being sealed for good. When working with access doors, materials like PORON® and BISCO® Silicones would be used since they do not take a compression set and can be compressed numerous times without taking a shape.
Adhesive Backed Gasket Strips
Adhesives are commonly used in conjunction with Gasket Strips. Whether the purpose is to form a structural bond, act as a manufacturing aid, or improve the sealing performance of an irregular surface, choosing the best adhesive system for an application is important. Pressure Sensitive Adhesives (PSAs) are the most common adhesive types for gaskets. Typically supplied on the gasket, the assembler then removes a release liner to press-fit the gasket in place.
Typical Adhesives for Gasket Strips include:
- 3M™ Double Coated Tape 9490LE – provides high bond strength to most surfaces, including many low surface energy plastics such as polypropylene and powder coated paints. This tape has a film carrier which can add dimensional stability to foams and other substrates to prevent the material from stretching and also makes it easier to handle during assembly.
- 3M™ Double Coated Tape 9492MP + 9495MP – features a thin polyester film for dimensional stability and improved handling with ease of die-cutting and laminating. Providing exceptional temperature and chemical resistance.
- 3M™ Adhesive Transfer Tape 467MP + 468MP – 2.3 mil thick adhesive for applications using metals and HSE plastics. This high-performance adhesive delivers excellent shear strength to resist slippage and edge lifting. It is mounted on 58 lb. polycoated kraft paper liner which virtually eliminates curling, rippling and buckling and provides efficient release.
- 3M™ Adhesive Transfer Tape 9471LE + 9472LE – Excellent bond to low surface energy substrates including powder coatings and plastics such as polypropylene (PP). High adhesion to metals and high surface energy materials, making it suitable for bonding dissimilar substrates. Adhesive provides excellent holding power and anti-lifting properties. Good resistance to industrial chemicals, consumer chemicals, moisture and humidity.
- Adchem 256M Double-Coated Tape – High tack adhesive with moderate shear strength. Excellent all temperature performance. Resistant to UV, oils, and plasticizers. Bonding and laminating to rigid and flexible plastics. Applications include mounting displays, signs, posters, mirrors, nameplates, and decorative wall plastics. Good for applications requiring excellent UV and extreme temperature resistance.
SRP: Custom Gasket Fabrication and Die-Cutting Solutions
By employing specialized equipment and providing full-service solutions—from design assistance and prototyping, to acquiring and working with cutting-edge, preferred materials—SRP stands out as a leader in custom gasket fabrication and die and die-less cutting services. Specifically for gasket strips we utilize a combination of our advanced laminating and slitting technologies to provide high quality products at cost-competitive prices.
SRP’s dedicated engineers are available to provide their expertise to assist you with your next project and help you obtain top-quality materials for parts and components that meet your exact specifications.
For more information you can reach SRP at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-593-5630.